Thanks to Kate Hensler and Museum
Melissa berry visited in 2002
The Old School House aka Genopoly House, is a surviving expression of another time. Located at 14 St George Street St Augustine Florida--Built over 200 years ago (exact date of construction is unknown, but it first appears on tax records in 1716) while Florida was under the rule of Imperial Spain, it was constructed of red cedar and cypress and put together with wooden pegs and handmade nails. Built by Ioannis Gianopoulus who was involved in the New Smyrna migration in 1777.
The schoolmaster and his wife lived upstairs, above the small classroom. Their kitchen was separated from the main building, because of the threat of fire and to spare the house of any excess heat during the long summers. Several of the cooking utensils used in those days are displayed here for the visitor. In the schoolhouse, related artifacts and copies of the books the pupils studied from are exhibited.
More info Watch Video
Site on House