Thursday, November 14, 2013
Rev Arthur Little
Arthur Little born in Webster, Merrimack County, N.H., May 24, 1837, son of Simeon Bartlett Little and Harriet (Boyd) Little. Died April 11, 1915 (From "Greenwood Memorial Church" (Methodist Episcopal) Dorchester, Massachusetts: Its Ancestry and Growth with the Neighborhood by Lawrence Frederick Berry)
Arthur grew up on the family farm in NH. He attended Kimball Union Academy and graduated 1856. He enrolled the following year at Dartmouth College and graduated in 1861. His twin brother Luther attended the same institution, entering college a year later, but died 19 July, 1858. After graduation Arthur attended Black River Academy and then following year Andover Theological Seminary and Princeton, N. J. all in completed in1862. He was ordained as a minister March 16 1863, in the Congregational meeting-house, Webster, NH.
His first position 1863--chaplain of the First Vermont heavy artillery.
On August 15, 1863 he married Laura Elizabeth Frost Born November 15, 1839 daughter of Benjamin Frost and Mary C Brandt.
Died on January 21, 1883
Children Mary Brandt Little born June 19 1867
Arthur received a Doctor of Divinity from Dartmouth College in 1880.
Married Second Elizabeth Ann Wales
Source: One hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the settlement of Boscawen and Webster: Merrimack Co., N.H., August 16, 1883. Also births recorded on the town records from 1733 to 1850 Charles Carleton Coffin
From January 4 1908 Boston Journal
From Dorchester History: Rev. Arthur Little, D.D., became the fourth minister of Second Church in 1889. The Chinese Sunday School was established during his ministry of twenty-three years. Also, the Hook-Hastings Organ was given to the church by T. Beaumont Townsend in memory of his mother and father. This is the fourth organ in the history of Second Church and is still in use today. Dr. Little resigned in 1912 and was made Pastor Emeritus.
From Boston Journal March 18, 1912
From History of Chicago Volume 3 By Alfred Theodore Andreas
In December, 1877, a unanimous call was extended to Rev. Arthur Little D. D. Dr. Little accepted the call, and was publicly installed as pastor on June 18, 1878. His pastorate has been a successful one, marked by the steady growth of the society, over three hundred having been received by him into church fellowship. An indebtedness of $35,000, incurred through the fire, has been entirely removed, and the interior of the church has been improved by refitting and decorating at an expense of $1,500. The Sedgwick-street Mission has been organized 1882; with a regular pastor, the pastor's salary and all its other expenses being paid by the New England Church. The property on Sedgwick Street is valued at $14,000. The membership of the mission is about six hundred and fifty, including congregation and Sunday school. Picture from Dorchester Atheneum