A submission from our friends at the Old South Meeting House
July 19, 1876: Twenty "Women of Boston," most from within the Old South congregation, purchase the Old South Meeting House building from the salvage contractor for $3500. Although the Preservation Committee raised over $60,000 in its first month of fundraising, it still could not afford the land on which the building stood. The congregation's standing committee did not want to remain the de facto funder of the building's preservation by keeping the land off the market, and told the Preservation Committee to raise $420,000 in just two months time. Like the Old South Meeting House on Facebook!